Thursday, May 5, 2011

Nintendo DS: 3D Edition

Face Raiders can give you the pleasure of shooting Justin Bieber IN THE FACE
One month into my ownership of Nintendo's shiny new 3DS (no, seriously, it's very shiny, I saw my face in its reflection when I took it out of the box), I can say that I'm able to give it a fair assessment of where the system currently stands.  Just one thing's for certain now: like the DS before it, it's got some growing up to do.


I'll make one point very clear: the 3DS has a lot to live up to, and its predecessor isn't going to be making it easy.  The entire line of original DS models (original through DSi XL) have sold over a combined 150 million systems worldwide.  That's like saying every other person in the United States owns a DS.  And the handheld gaming market is much different now than what it was just a few years ago.  With the advent of 99 cent games on iPods, people may not want to plop down $250 on a handheld system where new games retail for $40, especially when the iPods of the world serve multiple functions where the 3DS is still at its core a gaming machine.

So like how both the DS relied on the touchscreen and the Wii on motion controls as gimmicks to spark interests, the 3DS introduces... 3D! (Yawn)... but without those dumb-looking glasses! (Cool!) First off, I was very surprised to see how well the 3D worked.  Sure, I need to adjust the 3D slider a bit and find the right distance to hold it away from my face, but once I found the sweet spot, the effect was very awesome.  The two launch games I got showcased the effect well.  Pilotwings Resort does a great job in depth of field and Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition has the characters really pop out of the screen.  (And in some cases, I felt like the graphics looked better when viewing it in 3D as opposed to 2D.)  So in that respect, the 3DS excels.


Even with the advances in technology in those 13 years, we still like shooting disembodied heads.
Surprisingly, the highlight of the 3DS's pre-loaded features is the very fun diversion Face Raiders.  This augmented reality (AR) game has you take pictures of people's faces and creepily animates them as enemies.  The game's "environment" is wherever you are pointing your camera, which is also how you move around.  Yes, you will look silly while playing it in public, so you may want to stick to playing it in the comfort of your own home.  I couldn't help but think of the Space Fever II feature of the 13 year-old Game Boy Camera while playing with this.  It just goes to show how far handheld gaming has come. 

Other features of the 3DS are some carry-overs from the DSi and Wii, while introduces a few new ones.  The 3DS is pretty much like the DSi's, although with the ability to take 3D pictures.  The images are still of low quality and I've seen better pictures taken from a cell phone.  It appears that some of the image-editing features of the DSi camera have been eliminated and replaced with some new 3D tools.  3DS Sound seems to be unchanged from the DSi.  Nintendo improves the Mii Maker over the Wii's version by allowing you to take a picture of yourself and the system will (attempt) to make a Mii that looks like you.  Also new to this is the ability to export Miis into QR Codes to allow for widespread sharing:
Point your 3DS at this image for a funny-looking Mii.
However, like the DS before it, the 3DS still needs some time to give it a fair assessment.  The DS was out for a long time before the system really took off.  The 3DS hasn't yet had a "must-buy" game released (though the 3D remake of Ocarina of Time is set for mid-June, being the first that most people are waiting for to purchase the system).  Nintendo is largely to blame, as the timing for the release of the 3DS seemed a bit odd.  It launched the same month as the new Pokemon games, and frankly, I'm still distracted by my copy of Pokemon White to play the 3DS too much.  Also there are still some missing features, like the 3DS's version of the Virtual Console, Netflic streaming, and Internet Browser (surprising given that it's already on the DSi).  It makes me think that Nintendo should have waited a bit longer.

Time will tell.

4 comments:

  1. I think the 3DS sucks b/c it fails in the one arena it was designed for: 3D! With a lack of actual stereoscopic 3D and the fact there is no game support for by 3rd parties, the 3DS is falling flatter than Goose in Top Gun, not to mention Nintendo's stock. Wii market is flooded and sales have plummeted. 3DS failed to come anywhere close to projected release numbers. Hence Nintendo has decided to dump the Wii prematurely in the game cycle with the impending unavailing and next year's release of Stream, which is a very weak name for a system. Market is saturated and no one with a Wii is going to drop the 600 for a new system where the control is exactly like the xbox and PS3 controllers, except it has a screen. Whoop-dee-do. The system is definitely aimed at the hardcore gamer, and with them all alienated by Nintendo, and in-groused in either the xbox, PS3, or both, no one is getting this system expect the fan boys. I mean I haven't touched my Wii, referring to the system, since I beat the only Fire Emblem released for it and with most of the good games now getting graphics upgrades and being ported to the better systems I don't have to. I think Nintendo is going to have to settle for 3rd again. Maybe even 4th if the All-Japan system, supposedly being developed my Sega, NIS, Idea Factory, Compile Heart, Atlus, and Gust Inc., is not a rumor and we finally get someone to spill the beans. Maybe the Dreamcast 2!? But with that many companies supposedly cooperating on it, how could it be a rumor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not to mention Nintendo fails to support online networking with games and systems, like Sony and Microsoft have done with PSN and Xbox Live. Plus the new system is not HD native, it will have to up convert DVDs, and will not have 3D gaming, which the PS3 does support when it implemented a simple firmware update. Blu-ray is the future and even Microsoft has said they will bite the bullet and license it from Sony. Nintendo has once again become, for a lack of a better term, the French, two days late and one war behind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I picked up a 3DS (like I mentioned in another post) and am pretty satisfied with it for the most part. The three main things that annoy me right now (aside from the weak library) are:

    1) The pricing structure of the eShop, which I'm glad you pointed out what I feel as well. Imagine if they had Angry Birds 3D as an exclusive!

    2) The inability to message or communicate with friends at all. This is unacceptable given that even the Wii has a watered down version of this feature. I feel completely alienated from other 3DS users, and Street Pass is a feature gone bad (I have experienced 0 passes *sad face*). And should we really have to wait for ANOTHER system update to be able to do something so simple?!

    3) There's an SD card slot, yet there's no way to watch standalone videos. While Netflix is great, I want to be able to watch movies and other videos I have on my laptop. Even my 2 year old phone can do this-- why can't my newly purchased 3DS?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ioweyouone
    I have exactly zero street pass encounters as well. I suppose the next time I go to New York City I should go into Nintendo World. I *should* get a Street Pass there.

    Heh, Angry Birds 3D probably would sell a lot on the system. I totally wouldn't be surprised if that was in development.

    Watching your own movies would be an excellent feature, in contrast to Nintendo Video, where you can't pick the videos at all and they automatically delete/download.

    ReplyDelete