Monday, August 15, 2011

Da Vinci deNied a Hug from da Fiernze

I can only assume this is a screenshot of the hug, as I missed the hug.
Ok, apologies for the terrible post title, but it accurately describes the events that took place while I continue to slowly make my way through Assassin's Creed II (along with doing level-editing in VVVVVV.)  I'm generally not a fan of Quick Time Events (QTE) in games, but this was one of the very few cases where it actually had an effect on me.

The scene in question is where Ezio and Leonardo da Vinci are given a tour of Venice.  At its conclusion, Leonardo welcomes Ezio to visit his studio anytime, and stretches out his arms, giving the implication that he wants a hug.  But I, of course, had no hands on the controller at this point in time since it was a cutscene and did not plan for there to be any interaction.  So by the time I realized that there was a "hug button" and grabbed the controller, the prompt disappeared, Leonardo puts him arms down, feeling rejection, and hides in his studio.  I'm there yelling, "NOOOOOOO!" at my computer screen because I really did want to give Leonardo a hug and I didn't like that sad look on his face.  And thanks to auto-save, I did not get the opportunity to play the scene over again.

So given that my game-playing time is limited and I have quite a number of other games waiting to be played, my only option other than playing the entire game over again was to find a clip on Youtube so I could see the hug.  And judging by the comments, many people missed the hug and subsequently felt sad for doing so.  Comments such as "I don't think I've seen homeless puppies sadder than Leonardo when you miss the hug button," "When I played that game for the very first time, I missed that button... and I seriously had to restart again because his face was SO sad," and "I was close to crying when I missed the chance to hug him, and I still can't forgive myself," express this sentiment.

 So while this little QTE bears no significance on the story and there's no in-game penalty for missing it, it still made me feel terrible for denying Leonardo a hug. 

4 comments:

  1. I don't remember if I missed that prompt or not. I think I went in for the hug. I hope I did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those QTEs were horrible. I put my controller down during cutscenes a lot of times. You're not prepared for prompts like that, and they last just a short time. It further separates the player from the character.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nuking Megaton-Nothing
    Killing Autobot prisoners in War for Cybertron-Nothing
    Killing my sims-disturbed amusment
    What finally made me feel like a asshole-Not giving Leonardo a hug. His face is possibly the saddest looking face I have ever seen in a video game.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In plenty of other games where major characters died I felt nothing, but denying a fictional depiction of one of the greatest minds in history a hug - I felt horrible.

    Forgive me, Leo.

    ReplyDelete