Monday, August 8, 2011

Making Metroid V



What's this?  Metroid V?  A fifth game in the main Metroid Series?  No, that would be Metroid 5, which does not exist.  THIS, however, is a project of mine titled Metroid V where I attempt to pay homage to the original NES Metroid using VVVVVV's new level editor.  Released in conjunction with the current Humble Indie Bundle, the latest version of VVVVVV includes a new level editor that enables players to create their own crazy, puzzle-platform levels.  The game's official forums allows for players to post their levels to offer feedback and assistance.  For my first experiment in the level editor, I looked to the original Metroid for guidance as far as design and direction go.  Then comes the hard part: making the level both recognizable as a homage to Metroid and having the stages work within the design of VVVVVV.


Viridian can't use bombs, so I needed to go with the breakable platforms and moving enemies to block the entrance to Kraid's Lair.
In Metroid, the player wanders aimlessly looking for the next power up that would allow access to a previously inaccessible area.  In VVVVVV, there are no power ups to enhance Viridian's abilities (or lack thereof).  So the collectible trinkets replace the upgrades to Samus's Power Suit, some of which will trigger new areas.  Unlike the original game, my custom level will actually require some trinkets to be collected in order to progress.  

Of course, I would need for the level design to reflect the need of the corresponding trinket.  This leads to some modifications from the original Metroid design.  For example, the first screenshot here shows where you would collect the Maru Mari (Morph Ball).  Metroid has Samus forced to take the path above and fall down to collect the item.  Then, Samus morphs and rolls out the bottom path.  Viridian can't do that.  But, I want him to follow the same steps.  I made the bottom path tall enough that Viridian can walk through it, but placed a breakable platform to prevent entrance that way.  Spikes were placed in the room to force Viridian to take the same path as Samus in the room.  A lot of decisions for the initial trinket room, and later rooms and paths will require a lot more thinking.

If you can't tell, that's supposed to be the elevator to Kraid's Lair.



In fooling around with the level editor, I came across a few glitches and objects that did not behave as I thought they would.  One in particular was the following glitch that I call "reverse quicksand."  When horizontal gravity lines are placed close together, jumping into them from below causes Viridian to rise to the top.  However, jumping into them from the top simply causes Viridian to bounce off them (as it's supposed to work). After posting it to the game's forums, I was told it was a glitch that may be fixed in a future patch, so I was advised not to use it as part of level design. 


As I make more progress in the level, I'll update my post on the VVVVVV level forums and send out a Twitter update.  The first area that I plan to complete is a section of Brinstar and Kraid's Lair.  After I have a working version of those two areas, I'll release the first demo so that I can get some feedback as the development progresses.  I hope that everything I wish to implement is possible in the editor.  And if not, I'll just have to find a way to make it work!

5 comments:

  1. This looks amazing. I thought VVVVVV was a great game and making a metroid level in it looks great!! I look forward to trying this out on VVVVVV

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I probably won't release the first demo (containing Kraid's Lair) until after the creator releases a patch that will fix a few things and will add features to the level editor. Hopefully that's soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's an awesome idea! Good luck with it! Will you have bosses in it? It might work like if it's a "survive for so many seconds" section. Haven't used VVVVVV's editor though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This'll be interesting. Iunno if it was the free roaming kinda aspect but I was kinda thinking about Metroid when I played the game. Can't wait for you to finish it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not sure how I'm handling the boss rooms, but right now that's where the crewmates are found. (Currently, custom levels are set to end when you find all of your crewmates.) The creator said he was going to look into adding custom enemies and levels like "The Tower." (Take a wild guess at what point in the game I want to implement the scrolling Tower-like section.)

    ReplyDelete